Astronomical observatory of ancient tradition that is close to the ancient city of Leningrad.
Founded in 1839 by astronomer F. G. Struve, it operated with refracting telescopes that at that time were the largest and most perfected in the world.
For many years it was a symbol and a pride of imperial Russia. Destroyed by the bombings of World War II, the observatory was rebuilt in 1954.
|◄ Previous||Next ►|